Frequently Asked Questions about Name Change and Deed Poll

  • What exactly is a Deed Poll?
  • Who can change their name?
  • Applying for a Child Deed Poll
  • How can I get a Deed Poll?
  • Do I need to Make a Will
  • A Deed Poll is a legal document that proves a change of name. You can change any part of your name, add or remove names and hyphens, or change spelling.

    You don’t have to follow a legal process to start using a new name. But you will need a ‘Deed Poll’ to apply for or to change official documents like your passport or driving licence.

    Our Deed Polls are hand-drafted by experienced Paralegals to ensure that once you have changed your name, it will be accepted by all organisations, including the Passport Office, DVLA, UK Government, Banks, etc…

  • If you live in the United Kingdom and are British, then there are no restrictions on changing your name by Deed Poll.

    You must be 16 years of age or over to legally change your name. If you have any legal restrictions against you, then you must wait until you are 18 years of age.

    Please note that if you live outside of the United Kingdom, once you have had your Deed Poll witnessed (executed), you will need to update your passport. This can be done by applying through the Foreign Office, the British Embassy or High Commission in the country where you reside.

    Please click here to find out more information about Overseas passport applications.

  • You must have full parental responsibility to legally change your child’s name by Deed Poll. If the child’s mother and father both have parental responsibility, they both need to agree on the change of name.

    Please note that if a parent refuses to consent and sign a Deed Poll for your child, we cannot guarantee that it will be accepted.

    The child’s mother automatically has parental responsibility, but the father only has it if; he is registered as the father on the child’s Birth Certificate, is the child’s legal guardian, receives a parental responsibility order from the courts, or both parents sign a parental responsibility agreement.

  • We’ve made it so easy for you to get a Deed Poll.

    No complicated forms, no solicitors needed, just a few minutes of your time to complete our quick and easy form.

    Just select which Deed Poll you would like from one of the options below.


    Family Deed Poll Adult Deed Poll Child Deed Poll
  • Although there may not be a legal requirement to Make a Will we believe this to be an essential part of the changing your name process.

    This is because unclear wishes in a Will create the most problems. The last thing your family need is someone arguing that your wishes were different before you changed your name. For this reason we have teamed up with IWC Estate Planning and Management Ltd who will provide a full will writing service for you.